Thursday, March 25, 2010

There's No Place Like Home






If it hadn't been for my log cabin living, natural birth giving, homemade bread making sister I probably never would have known about the option to have my children at home. My sister and mother of four was the first person to bring up the idea of a midwife to me. For some reason home-births and midwives have become a slightly lost "art" in our culture. When telling people I usually get one of a few responses, "What, why or... REALLY?!" All of these make me smile because if I hadn't been told I would most likely have had the same reaction.
After the birth of my first daughter Khloe I knew I would have every child naturally with a midwife. Khloe tells the story of her birth, "I was born in a bathtub in Arkansas." You should see the reaction she gets when she says that! Caleb was born at home with a midwife and Sophie the same way. Every one of my babies and I wouldn't have it any other way.
While it is painful it is not unbearable, while it may seem dangerous or reckless in normal pregnancies it is perfectly safe. While it may seem new and strange it is actually old and very traditional. While I know it is not for everyone I always encourage people to consider. I have had GREAT experiences with all of mine and to me there is no place like home.

3 comments:

  1. Love this! I'm truly happy you and Linds were able to have the special joy of natural home- births :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of this. My least favorite part of having my kids was having to spend time in the hospital...I just wanted to be home with my babies! I was also reading your other blogs and say about Khloe's school that is only 2 days a week....How WONDERFUL! I wish we had that here...the perfect mix between traditional school and home school! You are such a bessed lady...enjoy every minute with your beautiful/wonderful family! ~Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, Girl! Thanks so much for your beautiful writing on how amazing and wonderful home-births are!

    your cabin-living, natural-birth-giving, homemade-bread-making sister :)

    love you, love you...miss you, miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Pia-Pie

Sweet Pia-Pie

Our Darling Doll, Khlo

Our Darling Doll, Khlo

The BOSS, The BEAR, the BABER

The BOSS, The BEAR, the BABER

My KNIGHT IN NIKES

My KNIGHT IN NIKES

and lil-ol-me...

and lil-ol-me...