Friday, February 19, 2010

My knight in shinning Nike's


UGH...is how I have to start this whole story! My husband travels the good part of the year because he is a College Men's Basketball Coach. November to March I am married to the game, or as some call it a Basketball Widow. I LOVE basketball, but I can't always say the same for the traveling schedule. After 6 1/2 years of marriage I pretty much have it down though. I start preparing my children days in advance that Daddy will be leaving and we will be taking him to the airport. Then from the time of kisses and hugs good-bye at the airport we are talking about when he will be coming home, usually Sunday after church.

I always try to schedule fun things to do when he is away. For example every road trip Khloe and Caleb get to sleep with me in the "big bed" every night until Daddy gets back. I take them for milkshakes and we rent movies to watch at night! It makes the time without him go by a little faster. All of that is the fun stuff, however when you are left to being a single mom from Wed-Sunday every other week, sometimes every week, not so fun things are bound to happen.

For instance the garage door breaks and you can't get the car out for 2 days or the furnace breaks and it is the dead of winter, or your 2 beloved dogs get into a dogfight and one has to be put to sleep or the WORST ice storm since 1919 hits and you are without power for 9 days!! I am usually left to fend for myself and my children when things go wrong BUT today I had my knight!! I pride myself in being relatively independent. I can fix a running toilet, press the reset button on the garbage disposal and change light bulbs. However there are those time when you need your man. When that pickle jar just won't open OR when your 9 months pregnant with your 2 children in rush hour traffic on the busiest highway in your city and you get a FLAT tire!! That was me this morning.

Of course we were taking my husband to the airport for his third to last road trip (but who's counting). I was driving when all of the sudden CLUMP....weeeezzzzz. I panicked hands at 10 and 2, Kyan"Pull over baby its fine. Keep going your doing great!" Cars whizzing by. I get over to the side and he pats my shoulder and said "You did great don't worry, I'm gonna fix this." "Don't worry I'm gonna fix this," I have heard that more than a few times in my married years to Kyan and boy am I glad when those words come out of his mouth because 100% of the time HE DOES one way or another!

After humbly looking at the car manual he got all of the tools laid out on the side of the road and hustled his 2 children and wife out of the car and safely put us on the side of the road, something the kids thought was pretty cool. In a matter of what seemed like seconds. The flat tire was off, the new tire was on and we were getting back in the car, merging onto the highway with a new tire and minutes to spare before his flight left! He was our hero once again! It is in times of crisis that we often see what people are made of. When everything or everyone around us is panicking or loosing hope we look for a leader, someone to tell us "Don't worry I'm gonna fix this" I am so glad I have a husband that does. Changing a flat tire doesn't seem all that grand but it is the little things to me that prove he will be there when the big things hit. Today...well and everyday he is my knight!

2 comments:

Sweet Pia-Pie

Sweet Pia-Pie

Our Darling Doll, Khlo

Our Darling Doll, Khlo

The BOSS, The BEAR, the BABER

The BOSS, The BEAR, the BABER

My KNIGHT IN NIKES

My KNIGHT IN NIKES

and lil-ol-me...

and lil-ol-me...