Tuesday, December 21, 2010

An Orange in my stocking

I always wondered why my parents put an orange in the bottom of my Christmas stocking. I thought is was maybe a German or Scotch-Irish tradition being that's where my family originated from on both side, NOPE. It is actually because of St. Nicholas himself! I finally read about it this year. I do it for my children because my parents did it to me and their parents did it for them. Mystery solved this is apparently where the idea came from so many years ago.

Knowing that I LOVE tradition I would do this regardless of knowing why, solely because my parents gave me an orange in the bottom of my stocking every year is enough reason for me to do it with my children. I was however curious as to why this tradition started. Now I know and I LOVE it that much more! Thank you Mom and Dad for another amazing tradition I can caring on with my children. OH and I bought the oranges today :)

This is an article I came across when investigating I love the last paragraph.

Did you know that the tradition of putting oranges into Christmas stockings dates back to the times of St. Nicholas, himself? It's true. The story goes that St. Nicholas overheard
some young maidens who were upset because they were going to be sold off into slavery because they did not have enough money for a respectable dowry, therefore no husband could be found for them. After the girls had washed their stockings they had hung them to dry by the fire. The next morning they found enough gold coins in their stockings for a very adequant dowry. It is suspected that the coins had been thrown into the window or down the chimney and had landed in the stockings. The gold that St. Nicholas is known for throwing has been represented by gold balls therefore making oranges, and even apples, the symbol of the gold.
So why not try it out this year with your own children, if you don't already? They may just love getting that little orange and/or apple in the toe of their stocking. Once my oldest daughter was old enough to enjoy Christmas we placed an orange and an apple in the toe of her stocking and we've done it with the other two girls also. I think the best thing about this is the feeling of tradition we parents can enjoy and the hope that our children will continue the tradition once they have their own children. Christmas doesn't have to be all about expensive gifts and all of the holiday parties. Just sit back and enjoy the feeling of love. After all, that's what Christmas is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Pia-Pie

Sweet Pia-Pie

Our Darling Doll, Khlo

Our Darling Doll, Khlo

The BOSS, The BEAR, the BABER

The BOSS, The BEAR, the BABER

My KNIGHT IN NIKES

My KNIGHT IN NIKES

and lil-ol-me...

and lil-ol-me...